Saturday, November 30, 2013

The Crossing: An Easy Quilt Tutorial

Made on my BabyLock Symphony

I've been wanting to use my Chicopee fabric for a while, but I couldn't decide on a pattern.  I saw something similar (almost exactly) to this quilt on Pintrest by HoosierToni and knew immediately I wanted to make it!  It had the added benefit of being easy! :)  This quilt is a 5x6 layout and is 67.5"x81" finished.

Each cross requires roughly a fat eighth (9"x21") of fabric.  If you have fat quarters, you can make 2 crosses per fat quarter.  For this quilt, I made 30 crosses so you will need 30 FEs or 15 FQs plus 1.75 yards of solid.  I'd get 2 yards of solid to be safe!  

Cutting for EACH print if using 30 FEs:
Cut one strip 5"x21" then sub cut into (4) 5" squares
Cut one strip 2.75"x21" then sub cut into (4) 2.75"x5" rectangles

OR

Cutting for EACH print if using 15 FQs:
Cut 2 strips 5"x21" then sub cut into (8) 5" squares
Cut 2 strips 2.75"x21" then sub cut into (8) 2.75"x5" rectangles

Cutting for Solid:
Cut (4) 5" x WOF strips then sub cut into (30) 5" squares
Cut (8) 5" x WOF strips then sub cut into 120 2.75"x5" rectangles

For each block you will need 4 print squares, 1 solid square, 4 print rectangles, and 4 solid rectangles.

Sew each print rectangle to a solid rectangle along the 5" side.  Press seams open.

Create each block as shown below.  Block is 14" unfinished. 







                                                                                                   

Enjoy!  Happy sewing!



6 comments:

Jan said...

Thanks for the great tutorial. It'll be on my to do list. Funny thing the captcha, below, has by birth year, 1944/

Roslyn said...

Great tutorial - gorgeous quilt :)

Barb in Mi said...

Love it! Thanks for the tutorial - got a perfect F8 bundle for this pattern!

Simple Simon and Company said...

This is absolutely gorgeous!!!
~Elizabeth

Indianna said...

Thanks for this easy, clear tutorial. I just made 2 for one of the ladies in my bee x

Unknown said...

This is a great tutorial...I think I will book mark it and hope to find some time to get back to it.

Gretta Hewson
Austin Auto Accident Attorney

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...